An adventurer into the unknown, an explorer, if you’ll, wants a easy, dependable watch. Maybe you don’t want a second or third timezone. Maybe you don’t want a slide rule. Maybe, you simply want the time, just-in-time.
And that’s what the Atticus Pytheas supplies.
Atticus is neither the primary, nor the final, to make a easy sport look ahead to the sector. What makes it fascinating is the standard of execution and selections made.
Getting this out of the way in which: You might discover similarities between Atticus Pytheas and watches just like the Rolex Explorer. In truth, Atticus calls this the “Adventure Series”.
We also can examine it to different watches primarily based on the Explorer, just like the Manchester Watch Works Iconik 2, a 39mm reinterpretation of the outdated Rolex Explorer 6350.
The Atticus Pytheas makes use of a dial with 3-6-9, with a triangle indice at 12. The triangle is equilateral, like a 1954 Submariner 6200. The triangle for the 1016 Explorer of the identical time is slender, and longer. It shares a minute monitor ringed by an outer circle.
The numerals for Pytheas are extra just like a Sinn than they’re to both The Rolex 1016 or 14270 Explorer. The Pytheas makes use of a case extra just like the 14270, with a dial that inherits a few of its traits from 1016, 6200, and that extra Sinn-like engraver’s typeface numeral.
The bracelet for Atticus Pytheas is a singular not-quite-an-Oyster bracelet, that provides a skinny horizontal ingredient to the hyperlinks. This ingredient disappears as quickly as you get to the detachable hyperlinks that modify the bracelet measurement. The finish hyperlinks of the bracelet are stable, quite than folded hole hyperlinks like they’d have been within the Fifties, the last decade Pytheas takes affect from.
Pytheas is a cushty 38mm, upsized from the Fifties 36mm, and never as massive as the present 39mm Explorer. The distinction of a single millimeter doesn’t sound like a lot, however the Pytheas retains a extra classic look by conserving the bezel width narrower than the fashionable model.
Should you get one? Let me break it down like this: I preferred the case measurement, form, and proportions of the bezel. I just like the blue dial and date nicely sufficient. Among issues I’m much less a fan of, the bracelet’s jarring transition from hyperlinks with a horizontal ingredient to hyperlinks with out.
The Atticus Pytheas is accessible at pre-order now for $400, considerably lower than its in-stock worth of $675. The motion inside is a Miyota 9015 that enables it to be as skinny as it’s. I strongly counsel you get one from atticuswatch.com.
- Brand & Model: Atticus Pytheas with date
- Price: $400 pre-order, $675 in-stock
- Who we predict it is perhaps for: You desire a Rolex Explorer-ish watch in a properly fashionable 38mm, with out shedding the proportions of the unique.
- Would I purchase one for myself primarily based on what I’ve seen?: The case is nice.
- If I may make one design suggestion, it might be: I might change the bracelet. I really feel as if the good case is let down by the bracelet. I might be inclined to place an aftermarket bracelet on it.
- What spoke to me essentially the most about this watch: The case measurement appears and wears wonderful.
Tech Specs from Atticus:
- Case Diameter: 38mm
- Case Length: 46mm
- Total Height: 11mm
- Water Resistance: 10ATM/100m
- Custom bracelet with a 20-16mm taper
- Movement: Japanese Miyota 9015