Citizen made the CZ Smart smartwatch, and they need to be ashamed of themselves.
Why? Because they’ve realized nothing.
The Web web site for the Citizen CZ Smart boasts, “Iconic Citizen design.” We have to have a chat.
When I final advised you that it was time to make Citizen Great Again, I used to be speaking about how Citizen wanted to give you a design language that might outline it, and make Citizen uniquely identifiable.
This isn’t it. Citizen failed.
Their advertising workforce wrote these phrases, with out there being something iconic, and even uniquely Citizen about it.
what’s iconic design
There are quite a lot of design parts to a watch: the case, the crown, and noticeably, the dial.
If you took the branding off three iconic watches, you’d know who made them and not using a second’s thought.
(Seriously, Seiko SKX-007, Heuer Monaco (in gulf colours), and Omega Speedmaster.
What is the Citizen watch that has that form of iconic identification?
There’s actually just one. The Citizen Promaster Nighthawk. Name one other? I can’t.
what’s Citizen truly good at?
Here’s the deal. Citizen is understood for:
- exact time-keeping (GPS, Radio, Solar)
- high quality assurance (you’re unlikely to get a foul one – they’re all equally well-made)
- only a few luxurious touches.
That is, Citizen makes technology-driven watches that hold time uniquely properly.
Google Android WearOS is just not distinctive. Anyone can license it. Garmin, Fossil, Motorola, anybody.
what does the advertising declare?
The CZ Smart is alleged to be:
- Designed for each second
- Stay related and share life’s most memorable moments
- Health and health like by no means earlier than
- Iconic Citizen Design
- Designed for all times: Easily plan your day and get solutions with Google.
- Customize your look
One by one, lets?
- Every second means health and non-fitness moments, whenever you’d need notifications and calendars. This is form of boring.
- Stay related means texts, calls, emails, and calendar occasions. Big deal.
- Health and health like by no means earlier than, but in addition, precisely the identical as each different WearOS watch. Citizen do not make the case for why we should always purchase this as an alternative of a Suunto.
- Iconic Citizen Design. There’s nothing iconic a couple of Citizen watch, nothing iconic about this Citizen watch, and the state of Citizen Design is shameful.
- Designed for all times. This seems like a repeat of staying related, however they needed to work in a Google Assistant point out on the backside.
- WearOS comes with plenty of watch faces. This CZ Smart comes with a small assortment of watch faces with Citizen branding. There are just a few digital faces that mirror a number of the Nineteen Eighties Ana-Digi / Digi-Ana watches, that nearly nobody remembers.
what’s a CZ Smart, and must you get one
The Citizen CZ Smart is a ridiculously giant 46mm watch. It boasts humdrum design, with tapered lugs that terminate in a 22mm lug width.
There’s a bezel with chamfers that seem in incomplete groupings across the circumference of the watch.
The bezel has an insert such as you’d discover on a dive watch, with both crimson and black, black, or blue colours. It isn’t in any respect obvious that the bezel rotates or works as a method of controlling the sensible watch OS.
Speaking of the OS, it’s Google’s WearOS, previously generally known as Android Wear. WearOS has had efficiency updates as not too long ago as September 2020, however it’s a fairly low-key replace.
There’s nothing that stands out about this humdrum design. There’s nothing that stands out about WearOS on this watch, versus every other WearOS watch.
Citizen would love $395 USD for considered one of three fashions, metal with black and crimson bezel, DLC black with bracelet and black bezel, or metal with blue bezel. To sweeten the deal, they’ll throw in a free interchangeable strap with every order. Should you purchase one? I wouldn’t: I really feel lied to after they declare they’ve something iconic to point out for themselves.