As we’re nicely conscious, this final 12 months has seen a surge within the variety of distant conferences that we’ve all needed to attend. One facet profit for us watch writers is that many new product shows have additionally gone to digital conferences, giving us simpler entry to those launches (somewhat than essentially needing to journey to, say, Switzerland). Recently, we acquired to see some fascinating merchandise coming from Mido, and we’ll cowl the primary one as we speak: the Mido Ocean Star 200C.
Mido is a model that tends to fly underneath the radar, which is a disgrace, as they’ve acquired a number of actually nice-looking items that are available at fairly cheap costs (my present favourite, after all, can be the Mido Ocean Star GMT). The Ocean Star line is a strong sportswatch lineup that may cowl a number of bases, and I used to be impressed with what I noticed within the Mido Ocean Star Diver 600. Not everybody wants a 600m watch (or the majority that comes with it) – so why not a extra manageable 200m?
That’s short-changing what the Mido Ocean Star 200C has to supply, a bit. It’s greater than only a slimmer case. For one, we’ve acquired a model new dial (take a detailed take a look at the sample, type of a geometrical interpretation of waves) in addition to a brand new colour for the Ocean Star line, inexperienced. I requested about that, and together with it being a preferred colour to introduce today, placing a brand new hue within the combine is one thing that Mido likes to do when a brand new mannequin comes into the combo.
Along with all of that, pay attention to the letter on the finish of the Mido Ocean Star 200C – that’s indicating that we’ve acquired a ceramic bezel right here. That does convey a little bit of a sheen to issues, and that enhances the polished and brushed finishes on the case, permitting the watch to undoubtedly work right into a dressier state of affairs. However you’re carrying it, I feel the dial goes to be a watch catcher. And, from what we noticed on the presentation, the AR coating on the sapphire crystal is top-notch, so that you’ll be capable of admire the dial fairly nicely (and, you realize, learn the time).
Dial sample apart, the Mido Ocean Star 200C has that very recognizeable handset, one which I like as a result of it’s distinctive to the model, in addition to giving some heft to the arms with out overwhelming issues. They are also properly proportioned to the triangle-and-pips indices that stand up off of the dial, which once more makes them daring and visual. In different phrases, there needs to be no issues in any respect studying the time on this watch – or the day or date, for that matter.
While there’s no denying that I like myself a terrific GMT, there’s loads to be stated for “simply” a three-hander to get you thru your day. With the Mido Ocean Star 200C, you possibly can even do it in a somewhat eye-catching method. Of course, if inexperienced isn’t your factor, the Mido Ocean Star 200C may even be obtainable in blue or gray dials. When it launches in May (not all that distant now), the watch will likely be obtainable for $1,150 – and it could actually, after all, be pre-ordered now over at midowatches.com
Tech Specs from Mido
- Automatic Mido Caliber 80 (ETA C07.621 base), 11½’’’, Ø25.60 mm, peak: 5.22 mm, 25 jewels, 21,600 vph
- Finely embellished Elaboré-grade motion, oscillating weight embellished with Geneva stripes and the Mido emblem.
- Functions: HMSD + day.
- Adjusted on 3 completely different positions for top accuracy.
- Up to 80 hours of energy reserve.
- Satin-finished and polished chrome steel, Ø42.5 mm, 2 components, unidirectional rotating bezel with inexperienced ceramic ring and 60-minute graduations, white Super-LumiNova® dot at 12 o’clock, sapphire crystal with an anti-reflective therapy on each side, case again engraved with polished starfish in reduction, engraved serial quantity, screwed case again and crown, waterproof as much as a strain of as much as 20 bar (200 m / 660 ft).
- Bracelet: Satin-finished chrome steel bracelet with polished central hyperlink and folding clasp with diving extension.
- Dial: Green with matt end, “waves” decor in reduction, individually utilized indexes coated with white Super-LumiNova®, day and date at 3 o’clock.
- Hands: Diamond-cut hour and minute arms with central groove and white Super-LumiNova®, diamond-cut sweep-seconds hand with white Super-LumiNova®.