As I’ve stated up to now, I appear to have a factor for watches that come out of smaller international locations – Estonia, Sweden, and Iceland, to call a couple of. Iceland’s personal JS Watch Co has taken a bit of their native historical past, and launched a brand new watch that builds on that legend – the JS Watch Co Islandus Dakota C-117.
So, what’s the historical past right here? Well, right here’s how the story begins out:
On 21 of November 1973, the day earlier than thanks giving, the Navy airplane Douglas Dakota C-117, serial quantity 17171 was flown by Captain James Wicke on a routine mission to the east a part of Iceland when the climate turned to the more severe and temperature plunged to -10°C. The wind gust elevated and the carburettor began sucking in ice. As the climate drive elevated, the combat with heavy turbulence was misplaced and each engines stopped spinning. Wrapped in heavy fog, the 5 passengers had no clue as to the place they the place as they might not even see the tip of the wings after they seemed out the window, fearing the worst, that they the place going to crash right into a mountain and die.
Now – spoiler alert – this isn’t how the story ends. Captain Wicke truly acquired the airplane landed on a seaside. After the Navy stripped the dear bits off of the airplane, the airframe was left on the seaside to rust away. That means it’s a really literal piece of the nation’s historical past that may nonetheless be seen at this time. Fittingly, the JS Watch Co Islandus Dakota C-117 takes after a pilot’s watch.
That reveals up within the dotted triangle up at 12 o’clock, and the sword-style handset. I additionally respect how they’ve acquired the circled star down on the 6 o’clock place (beneath the date window) that’s harking back to what you’d see on a army airplane. That’s simply the place the watch begins from. Frankly, the JS Watch Co Islandus Dakota C-117 is an upscaled tackle the basic pilot watch.
The 44mm metal case is available in a extremely polished end, and manages to be simply 11.5mm thick, even with the Swiss automated motion tucked inside. This is a bit fancier than we’re used to seeing on the common-or-garden Flieger, nevertheless it works right here, type of softening these army edges. If you fancy your self a pilot watch fan, however want one thing a contact dressier, the JS Watch Co Islandus Dakota C-117 goes to be your ticket. Available with both a black or white dial, it’s out there on a leather-based strap ($2,631) or a milanese bracelet ($2,845) straight from jswatchco.com.
Tech Specs from JS Watch Co
- Swiss Made Mechanical motion “Execution Top”
- Automatic winding
- 25 jewels, Custom decorations, Blue screws and Rhodium plated end.
- 42-hour energy reserve when totally wound.
- Fine tuning: “Assortment Chronometer”.
- Shock safety: Incabloc.
- Adjusted to 5 positions.
- Material: Surgical grade German Stainless Steel “316L”
- Diameter: 44mm, peak 11.5mm.
- Surface end: Highly polished.
- Curved Sapphire Crystal with multi anti reflective coating on the within.
- See-through Sapphire Crystal show again.
- Water-resistance: 5 ATM.
- Lug width: 22mm
- Black grain end / Silver grain end, with Arabic numerals in black or previous radium Super-LumiNova
- Date show at six o’clock.
- Rhodium plated with black Super-LumiNova / Matt black with previous radium Super-LumiNova.
- Handmade 22mm black or brown Italian Calf with JS Watch co. Reykjavik buckle or elective deployant clasp.
- Steel bracelet additionally out there.