Fine engraving on a watch is a convention with an extended historical past. Typically, that kind of work reveals up on very high-end actions. However, expert artisans have been identified to work their expertise on watch circumstances as nicely. I bear in mind the primary time I noticed images of a Rolex that had it finished, and I used to be enthralled. One day, I can hopefully have a watch that may be a canvas for an engraver. If you’re the identical, and on the lookout for a approach to spend your stimulus cash, maybe the Magrette Kaitiaki is what the physician ordered.
As far because the watch itself goes, the Magrette Kaitiaki begins life as a Moana Pacific Waterman, which we wrote about right here in it’s GMT guise. No GMT complication, so the motion is “simply” an ETA 2824-2 (fairly the improve from the Miyota that my first Magrette – and first automated – had in its case). The dial is the stunning sandwich model that Magrette makes use of fairly a bit, and the handset is their customary, newer model that the watches have used as of late.
The actual story with the Magrette Kaitiaki is after all that case. The 42mm 316L chrome steel begins life as a cushion case, after which Andrew Biggs – an engraver that calls Christchurch, New Zealand dwelling – places his expertise to work towards that case, elevating it right into a steely murals. This is all finished by hand, and has a really loopy stage of element.
Given the quantity of labor that goes into the Magrette Kaitiaki, there are two details that possible received’t shock you. First, solely 10 of those are being made (guide engraving is time- and labor-intensive). Secondly, to get a type of ten in your wrist, you’ll want $3,200 (plus one other $65 for transport). Is it dear for an ETA-based three-hander? For positive. But to have one thing that’s a hand-crafted piece of artwork to name your individual? That’s one other story altogether. magrette.com
Tech Specs from Magrette
- CASE DIMENSIONS: 42mm x 51mm lug-to-lug, 22mm lug width, 13mm tall (excl. crystal)
- MATERIAL: 316L chrome steel case, crown, and buckles. Fine brushed ending all through.
- BEZEL: Ceramic (matte end), engraved and totally lumed (Swiss Super-LumiNova® Old Radium).
- DIAL: Sandwich building with Swiss Super-LumiNova® Old Radium lume; totally brushed palms with Super-LumiNova® Old Radium lume.
- WATER-RESISTANCE: 500m/1650ft water resistance. Viton gasket used on case again.
- MOVEMENT: ETA Caliber 2824-2, Reserve 38 hours.
- CRYSTAL: Sapphire (excessive domed), AR coating.
- CROWN: Screw down, raised Magrette defend emblem.
- STRAPS: Textured rubber (black).
- LIMITED: 10 items*