Yesterday, we coated a watch that was manufactured from plastic recycled from waste pulled from the ocean. Well, this recycled ocean plastic appears to be catching the eyes of the bigger Swiss manufacturers on the market, as Ulysse Nardin has leapt into the water with their Ulysse Nardin Ocean Race Diver.
Now, the crew at Ulysse Nardin are not any strangers to pushing limits, both of their watch designs or the supplies that they’re utilizing. In phrases of design, the dial definitely as a novel aptitude to it with the double-X that they’ve pad printed on it. Still, it’s “simply” a three-hand dive watch – albeit with a sub-seconds dial and an influence reserve indicator – so the main target will be on the supplies, and the way they’re carried out.
For the case, it’s manufactured from two supplies – 40% carbon composite, and 60% polyamide, which is a plastic recycled from fishing nets. When you take a look at the metal parts used, these are constructed from metal content material that’s 80-85% recycled. Finally, the textile strap can be manufactured from these recycled fishing nets. What we discover so fascinating concerning the method right here is that Ulysse Nardin could be very clear about the place these supplies are sourced (see extra down within the tech specs part), letting us know the place these supplies come from. This permits the knowledgeable shopper to evaluate what the provision chain impacts are of their purchases.
Taking a step again, and viewing the Ulysse Nardin Ocean Race Diver holistically, I feel they’ve achieved an ideal job built-in all of those recycled supplies. For a watch that’s largely achieved in monochrome (with these neon inexperienced accents), it nonetheless is sort of visually fascinating. There are a number of layers within the dial, and the entire shades of gray mix properly, whereas nonetheless permitting the carbon waves within the bezel to face out. That mentioned, you received’t see many of those on the market. Only 200 items – at $11,500 – are being produced. So, if you wish to vote along with your pockets to help one of these effort, you’ll want to maneuver rapidly. ulysse-nardin.com
Tech Specs from Ulysse Nardin
- Reference: 1183-170LE-1A-TOR/0A
- UN-118 Manufacture motion
- Silicium & DiamonSil escapement expertise
- Small second hand
- Power reserve indicator
- Power reserve: 60 hours
- Case: 44mm
- Bezel: Unidirectional concave rotating
- Green Super-LumiNova® markers
- Anthracite (ruthenium) floor remedy
- Double X
- Case again: Sapphire crystal, The Ocean Race emblem (white switch)
- Wrist strap:
- Recycled from fishing nets
- Gray with inexperienced and white stitches
- Scratch closing
- Water-resistance: 300m
- Price: CHF 10,900 / EUR 10,400 / USD 11,500 / GBP 9,540
- Recycled elements:
- Side-case and case-back 40% Carbonium® and 60% recycled fishing nets, Nylo® (suppliers: Lavoisier Composite and FIL&FAB, France).
- Stainless metal case a minimum of 80% recycled from automotive business (provider: Voestalpine Boehler, Austria ).
- Bezel ornament 100% Carbonium®.
- Wrist strap with scratch closing 100% recycled from fishing nets (provider: JTTI, France).
- Components of the UN-118 motion sourced in Switzerland, inside a 30 km radius.