You’re trying on the Casio G-Shock GA2110ET-8A, maybe higher generally known as the gray “Casioak,” which I’ve been sporting on and off ever since I bought it a couple of weeks in the past. I did so in one thing of a panic after studying from considered one of my favourite YouTubers, Maverick Watch Reviews, that Casio had discontinued the mannequin. “OK, properly, that appears tremendous cool, and I would like it, so there.” One fast journey to StockX later, right here we’re.
For the $150 or in order that I paid for it, I now have a enjoyable, gray watch that I can put on round the home (like many individuals, I’m working from residence today) and match with my rising sneaker assortment with out having to fret an excessive amount of about knocking it round. It is a G-Shock, in any case. That it vaguely resembles the watch that Instagram and Reddit have fallen in love with is a neat little enhance. And at a time when each little enhance makes getting by the day much less horrible, I’ll take it.
So on a macro degree, I’m proud of the acquisition. But it’s whenever you zoom in that it begins to lose just a little little bit of its shine.
First, the factor is a chonker, no less than for me and my 6.5-inch wrist. It’s received a 45mm diameter and 48.5mm lug to lug, placing it on the very fringe of wearability for me.
An even bigger problem is the dial. I like the person colours however I’m unsure it’s probably the most legible dial I’ve ever seen.
I feel there’s a couple of causes for that, beginning with the hour and minute pencil palms. The hour hand, to my eye, is just a bit too distant from the markers; it feels prefer it takes a beat or two too lengthy to course of the place it’s pointing. It jogs my memory loads, truly, of the analogue Apple Watch faces.
Then there’s the digital show window that spans the 4 and 5 oclock. It’s formed like a trapezoid and by default shows the date (within the M.DD format) and operating seconds. The problem right here is that the hour and minute pencil palms fully obscure the cutout whereas passing over it.
How typically do I have to know the time right down to the precise second? Not typically, particularly these days when the one locomotion I’m engaged in is shuffling round my residence. But aesthetically it’s displeasing, and as I’ve defined on The HourTime Show podcast, dial aesthetics are enormous for me.
Nighttime visibility additionally isn’t nice. The hour and minute palms are lumed however they don’t get very vivid nor do they keep illuminated for very lengthy, and the LED doesn’t do an incredible job of lighting up the small LCD show. It’s a far cry from my G-Shock sq..
So all in all, I’ve blended emotions concerning the Casioak.
At a primary look it seems to be neat, and I finally don’t thoughts having it in my rising assortment.
But legibility points imply I’d most likely think about it to be a vogue watch greater than the rest.
Full Specs from Casio
- Case / bezel materials: Carbon / Resin?
- Resin Band
- Shock Resistant
- Mineral Glass
- 200-meter water resistance
- Double LED mild
- LED mild for the face (Super illuminator, selectable illumination length (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow)
- LED backlight for the digital show (Super illuminator, selectable illumination length (1.5 seconds or 3 seconds), afterglow)
- World time
- 31 time zones (48 cities + coordinated common time), daylight saving on/off, Home metropolis/World time metropolis swapping
- 1/100-second stopwatch
- Measuring capability:
- 00’00”00~59’59”99 (for the primary 60 minutes)
- 1:00’00”~23:59’59” (after 60 minutes)
- Measuring unit:
- 1/100 second (for the primary 60 minutes)
- 1 second (after 60 minutes)
- Measuring modes: Elapsed time, cut up time, 1st-2nd place occasions
- Countdown timer
- Measuring unit: 1 second
- Countdown vary: 24 hours
- Countdown begin time setting vary: 1 second to 24 hours (1-second increments, 1-minute increments and 1-hour increments)
- 5 every day alarms
- Hourly time sign
- Hand shift function
- Full auto-calendar (to 12 months 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- Button operation tone on/off
- Regular timekeeping
- Analog: 2 palms (hour, minute (hand strikes each 20 seconds)), 1 dial (day)
- Digital: Hour, minute, second, pm, month, date
- Accuracy: ±15 seconds per thirty days
- Approx. battery life: 3 years on SR726W × 2
- Size of case : 48.5×45.4×11.8mm
- Total weight : 51g